The weeks after Halloween, but before Thanksgiving, are an absolute nightmare. I overbought our candy, plus my daughter is cute, so every fucking house in the neighborhood gave her a ton of candy. We ended Halloween with more candy than when we started. The problem here is my totally lack of self control; I am that guilty kid with a constant chocolate glaze on my face.
Staring down this beastly pile of candy I decided to do something useful with them-bake cookies! I dug through my books and opted for a vegan recipe to bastardize. Check out my version of the Vegan with a Vengeance Chocolate Chip Cookies recipe.
3/4 cup margarine (I like Smart Balance)
1/4 cup applesauce
1 1/4 cup sugar
1 TB molasses
1 TB vanilla extract
2 1/2 cups flour
1 Tb baking soda
1 Tb salt
1 1/2 cups chopped up chocolate halloween candy (if you want the cookies to be vegan then use vegan chocolates)
- Preheat your oven to 350
- Take all that leftover Halloween Candy that you don’t want to be caught eating and chop it up. From experience I say avoid anything with a wafer, they just taste kind of gross when baked into something else.
- Cream together (in your stand mixer or with a wooden spoon and your ripped muscles) the margarine, applesauce and sugar. I use SmartBalance because cholesterol.
- Add in the molasses and the vanilla. I usually err on the side of more vanilla because I love it, but don’t over do. You’ll know if you’ve overdone if there is an alcohol burn. Save that for the weekend.
- Mix in all the dry ingredients until there are no dry patches.
- Mix in the halloween candy. The finer you’ve chopped the candies the easier it will be dispersed.
- Spoon onto a foiled cookie sheet.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes, or if you have my crap oven 10-15 minutes.